Lonoikamakahiki! Makahiki season is a time of renewal, regeneration, and reflection. It is a time to plant the seed inside. The demigod Kamapua`a, the pig, is a kinolau or earthly manifestation of Lono, the god of argiculture. Catch up with Solomon and Kaliko as they reflect on what lessons "Kamapua`a, The Animation" has taught them last year. Join us and to explore what lessons this ancient myth holds for us today.
Solomon Enos was born and raised in Makaha Valley. Solomon hails from the well-known Enos `ohana. He has been making art for more than 30 years and he is adept at artistic expression in a wide variety of media including oil paintings, book illustrations, murals, and game design.
Kaliko Maii for over eight years has worked dilligently as a producer of HAWAIIAN SOUL, the HIFF award-winning narrative short based on the life of George Helm. Among Kaliko's other collaborations is the Hawaiian translation of Nickelodeon’s Avatar: The Last Air Bender for Mana Studios HI.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES
1. Lono (https://youtu.be/_FfebnP0Gv4)
2. HAWAIIAN SOUL (https://vimeo.com/466522560)
3. Hawaiian Word of the Day - Makahiki (https://youtu.be/webiDDWCjeg)
4. Hawaiian Soul Movie Tee (https://kealopiko.com/collections/unisex-tees/products/hawaiian-soul-movie-tee-white, https://kealopiko.com/collections/unisex-tees/products/hawaiian-soul-unisex-basic-tee-blue)
5. Instagram - Hawaiian Soul Movie (https://www.instagram.com/hawaiiansoulmovie/?hl=en), Filmmaker Kaliko Maii (https://www.instagram.com/kalikomaii/?hl=en), Native Hawaiian Artist Solomon Enos (https://www.instagram.com/solomonenos/?hl=en)
6. TEDxTransmedia - Jeff Gomez - DAREtoCHANGE (https://youtu.be/p9SlVedmnw4)
7. The Epic Tale of Hiiakaikapoliopele – UH Press (https://uhpress.hawaii.edu/title/the-epic-tale-of-hiiakaikapoliopele/)
8. Hawaii's Legacy of Literacy: Puakea Nogelmeier at TEDxManoa (https://youtu.be/qx44JMlkxyk)
9. Editor's Pick: Surprising New Data Shows Comic Readers Are Leaving Superheroes Behind (https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2019/10/08/surprising-new-data-shows-comic-readers-are-leaving-superheroes-behind/)
10. Hawaiian-language version of ‘Moana’ distributed to Hawaii schools (https://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/11/29/breaking-news/hawaiian-language-version-of-moana-distributed-to-schools-in-hawaii/)
Screening of "Longing for Hawai'i" and Q&A with Filmmaker Katia Kalei Barricklow and Hawai`'i Historian Dr. Ron Williams, Jr.
More than two thirds of Native Hawaiians live on the US mainland and not Hawai'`i. One east coast `'ohana’s journey into the past uncovers a hidden family connection to the Kingdom of Hawai’i. This short documentary film is a personal journey filled with resilience in the face of colonial erasure. Once forgotten heroes are honored with connections strengthened by transgenerational aloha. A testament to the enduring legacy of Hawaiian nationalism that bridges Hawai`i to the US mainland with voices from the past.
This program is supported in part by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with The City Council.